Life is hectic. Sometimes even chaotic and we hardly have time to breathe, let alone create ways to release the worries of the day.
And let’s be honest, most days bring a challenge of one sort or another.
Truth be told if it were easy to walk the path of managing our emotions so they would take less of a toll on our health and well being, we’d all be on it.
Your emotional health influences every corner of your life. How you feel each day. The way you make decisions. Whether you can respond rather than react to events in life and even how you interact with others.
I read recently about a study from San Francisco State University that shows symptoms of anxiety and depression in a sampling of university students who completed a survey about smartphone use.
So it seems even those devices that are meant to make life easier can actually be bringing with them greater emotional distress.
Just what we need, right? Something else to impact the emotional quality of our life.
Before you freak out!!
We have our essential oils on hand to help us balance those emotions.
Essential oils that have been used for hundreds, if not thousands of years to support you emotionally, physically and spiritually.
What can essential oils can do for emotions?
- Counteract negative emotions like doubt
- Promote feelings of confidence
- Uplift your mood
- Promote a positive attitude
- Support fresh thinking
- Create an atmosphere of calm and relaxation
- Soothe anxious feelings
- Refresh and bring greater clarity
- Bring greater balance to daily life
How do they work though?
I know it sounds funny that essential oils for emotions is a thing! But it is. It works like this:
When you inhale tiny molecules of essential oils you are connecting to the feeling area of your brain.
And your brain responds by releasing endorphins (which can help you feel more relaxed), serotonin (which we all know is the feel good hormone), and even noradrenaline (which is a stimulant). (Woods-Lavoie 2001)
Fragrances deeply connect to our emotions and memories because our scent receptors are located next to the emotional centers in our brain, known as the amygdala and hippocampus. And apparently much research has centered around the belief that certain fragrances can help trigger calming or peaceful feelings.
Which I’ve definitely found to be true. And some oils are recognized as interacting with certain hormones, neurotransmitters or enzymes, resulting in a specific change to our bodies’ chemistry.
So next time you’re out of sorts or not in the best of moods and you need to balance or restore helpful emotions try these essential oils.
- Bergamot Oil – especially when overwhelmed and in need balance and to boost confidence.
- Lavender – renowned for easing tension and promoting feelings of calm and relaxation.
- Patchouli Oil – when stress is getting you down or you’re feeling disconnected.
- Sandalwood Oil – when feeling stuck or you need a boost of grounding, centering energy.
- Frankincense Oil – for renewed balance and contentment, tranquility, enlightenment and inspiration.
- Cedarwood Oil – promotes confidence, and supports our strength in times of crisis.
- Rose Oil – awakens feelings of love, promotes mental wellbeing. Known for it’s sedative, relaxing properties. And calming to the emotional heart.
- Cypress Oil – comforts in times of trouble. Creates an atmosphere of stability when we’re feeling insecure.
- Rosemary Oil – believed to improve memory, concentration and focus for better mental and emotional health.
- Melissa Oil – useful for promoting feelings of relaxation, uplifting moods and bringing calm to your thinking mind.
- Peace and Calming – last but not least…my very favourite feel-good essential oil.
Check the video below:
Using essential oils for emotions
First of all close your eyes and take a deep breath of an essential oil. This way you’ll discover what you like, because we’re all unique and you might find an oil that smells good to you, but doesn’t to someone else.
When you’ve chosen your oil you can:
Use an essential oil diffuser. Check out what you need to know about diffusers here.
Apply a drop or two to the palms of your hand and inhale.
Rub on the inside of the elbow or wrists.
I highly recommend diluting any essential oils you apply to your body. You need to be sure you don’t have skin sensitivity to any of them.
Oils like avocado, coconut, grapeseed, sweet almond oil are pretty good to use.
If you find yourself far too overwhelmed to use essential oils for an emotionally healthy and well balanced life, don’t be afraid to reach out for help. Seeking help from professionals or friends and family is always a good thing when we can’t handle life’s trials and tribulations ourselves.
Always be as kind and compassionate to yourself as you are to everyone else.
Now you’ve got a headstart on using essential oils for emotions, here’s where you can find all these products to start using today. Just copy and paste the product into the website search and away you go.
And don’t forget to pick up my free ebook of essential oil recipes for dealing with life. (click here)
As always, I appreciate you for being here, and if you enjoyed the article please share it with your friends and family on social media…the more the merrier right?
My wish for you is a long, healthy, happy, successful life. And what better way that with the help and power of nature.