It’s no secret: There’s always another essential oil that I have my eye on. Maybe a brand new one, or at least new to me.
I know, I know I’m basically an essential oil junkie! Please say that you are too, so I won’t feel all alone in the world. 🙂
Let’s face it essential oils are becoming as popular as cold lemonade on a hot summer’s day (see more below!) and the scent of a particular essential oil can create waves of nostalgic memories or bring a rush of long forgotten emotions.
That’s sort of the problem. With so many available to choose from, ignoring the fact that I’m basically greedy to have them all within my reach for a minute, how do you choose which one to add to your collection next?
So I thought I’d share a list of Young Living’s most popular oils and blends, the really ‘essential ‘essential oils along with how best to use them!
If you don’t yet know why I only use Young Living Essential Oils…take a look at this.
You might be thinking woah…what about the cost of living this happy, healthy life…and I get it…I thought the same.
Until I worked out that a drop of oil goes a long, long way.
At least if it’s a top-notch, untouched by chemicals, essential oil. For instance, a 15m bottle of oil has between 320-400 drops.
Isn’t that amazing.
Cedarwood works out to be around 4 cents a drop and Lavender around 9 cents a drop. Considering how much money we spend on stuff that isn’t promoting a happy, healthy life for us, that’s an awesome deal!
I call Lavender the Swiss-army knife of essential oils. This one is a safe bet for a variety of situations.
- An insect deterrent
- Freshen the air in your room
- Support relaxation
- Eliminate pet odors
- Refresh linens
- Add to food or beverages
- Add to a bath
- Add a few drops to your favorite shampoo or face cream
Lavender is also great for travel and helps to relieve the sometimes nervous tension that traveling brings, at least to me.
- Citrus oils are brilliant for uplifting the spirits, the body and mind
- Add to distilled water in a spray bottle. And spray your laundry. Mmm sublime freshness
- Make a citrusy lemonade. See recipe below
- Add a drop to your morning glass of water to support metabolism
- Peppermint supports your digestive system in so many ways…I inhale it when I’m craving something I shouldn’t be eating!
- Rub a few drops on tired muscles for a soothing effect
- Diffuse to create feelings of alertness and energy
- Plus it has a handy habit of deterring insects and pests. I spray around my ankles where those pesky no-seeums seem to lurk in the evening.
- Add few drops to a mister bottle and spray on soles of feet before putting on your socks and shoes. Works wonders for my athletic grandson!
- Eliminates nasty smells – put few drops on cotton balls and place around the house.
- Supports healthy immune system add a drop or two on wrists. I never go to the doctor’s office or on a plane without my Thieves
- Rub a drop or two on soles of feet for a calming experience
- Add 10-15 drops to 16oz spray bottle of water for cleaning or add to a fine mister and spray around the house
Though truth be told I generally use Thieves household cleaner, adding one capful to a 16 oz bottle and fill up with water and some drops of citrus too. It lasts forever, cleans without harsh chemicals, and works out to be way cheaper and healthier than commercially sold cleaners.
- Put a couple of drops on soles of feet first thing in the morning to promote confidence and self-control
- Diffuse to create an atmosphere that helps eliminate negative emotions
- Or add a drop or two to your wrist. I like to use the car diffuser with my Valor to keep me peaceful no matter what!
- Or add to a cotton ball and place in the care vents to soothe your mind when feeling angry
I love to start my day with a drop or two of Valor on my feet. It takes about 20 minutes for the benefits to be felt in every cell of the body.
- Add a couple of drops on the back of your neck to create positive energy
- Diffuse to uplift emotions
- Inhale to help relieve feelings of frustration or sadness
- Place on cotton ball in air vents or linen drawers
- Add to Epsom salts for warm, good feeling bath
- Dab a drop behind ears for a wonderful perfume and to be immersed in positive vibes
- Sweeten skin care by adding a couple of drops to your body lotion for a boost of moisture
- Add silky shine to your hair. Mix 3 drops in your conditioner and finger brush through your hair
- Diffuse for a cozy night at home for a delicious, relaxing woodsy aroma
- Add to a cotton ball and place in your closet. I love the smell in our closet
- Sleep well by adding a drop or two on a cotton ball or tissue and place inside your pillowcase.
Enjoy the many possibilities of using essential oils every day. Be it for physical, emotional or spiritual wellness, there’s definitely an essential oil for that.
Just get yourself a bottle of therapeutic grade, pure essential oil, open it and away you go.
Citrusy Lemonade Recipe
- 1/2 gal. or 64 oz water (filtered preferably)
- Juice of an organic lemon and 1/2 of organic lime
- About 7oz organic agave (I’d test it as you go so it isn’t sweeter than you’d like)
- 6 or so drops of Young Living Lemon essential oil (Young Living because of the quality and purity control)
I wouldn’t recommend adding ice to your Citrusy Lemonade before pouring. Just use an ice-filled glass as needed. That way you don’t dilute the delicious flavor too much.